Saturday, February 20, 2010

Post #4 Almanac

I like the style of this novel (Almanac of the Dead). I hope I do not sound snotty when I say this but I feel like I cannot connect to the stories in this book. I have never lived anywhere near "the bottom" and the cast of characters that emerge from this novel baffle me. From the odd twins, Root, Seese, these are characters that seem so far removed from everything I know that comprehending what they do sometimes goes over my head. The actual book of the Almanac of the Dead is CRAZY. We are over two hundred something pages into the book and still have no idea how not only do the characters connect but why this dang book is at the center of it all. I mean eventually everything will come together and a "ah ha" moment will turn on a light bulb... But apparently we are not there yet. We were introduced to the kids who saved the Almanac I wonder if someone they are relatives of the old twins? I find it odd that these children were on their own with such important documents. They were given such responsibility and at the same time had no idea what they were or meant. I feel like these kids are central to the story but again with Silko's mysterious capabilities... We thus of course we have no idea. While I think this novel is extremely difficult to read through this novel I am glad this is assigned to us. Reading and reacting to stories different from where we come from is what makes us a better person all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment